Geocache: Autobahn cache #4

And the day came again... I was traveling through Germany and this time on a route I never took before. As it was not me driving I could not pick the stops but I was lucky enough that we stopped at a few places where I could search for a geocache. This was one of them.

A magnetic film canister
When I found it I was not sure why the magnet was needed, but I found some good use for it at least while I made this picture.

On long trips along the autobahn and any other highways it is always good it you can stop to search for a geocache, that is a perfect reason to move a little bit, and in some cases it also make the stop more then jump out of the car turn left turn right stretch jump back and continue. On this trip as I was just a passanger and the driver was always in a rush and the only reason he was to stop was to smoke, that was limiting the search time to around 2 minutes and I had to pick go to the restroom, get a drink or find a geocache. It was not always the easiest pick and I never knew when we'll stop. Mostly the stops were a sharp turn off the highway and park without any prior notice.

Hiding in the pipe
Now as you see the geocache was hiding in a pipe; part of the fence, still did not figure out why the magnet was needed as it could not go any further down the pipe and if it could how would you spot it? how would you take it out?

If you never travelled along the autobahn you probably have no clue what you need to watch the most while searching, so let me share it with you. Unfortunately it is your steps you need to watch, usually getting to the spot would be a quick walk and then a short search but I am not going to say Thanks to those people who does not know what the restrooms are built for, but there are random pile of human and sometimes also dog made end products. If you do not want to stink for the next 300 kms till you stop again you really need to watch your steps.

Muggle safe hide
Autobahn resting areas are busy, at least at some time of the day and that means if you want to hide here you have to be very careful to do it muggleproof. This is a perfect example of that, each of the pipes in the fence has a cap on them so rain won't fill them up and then they last longer. (Not really sure why, or maybe it is important in winter as the water would freeze in there? Otherwise the material used is rustfree.) The trick with these hides is that for the first time you really do not know where to look and especially when you are a beginner you are always afraid to move objects and take things apart, but after a wile you just get used to.

In general this trip I had got me two new German souvenirs and one of them was thanks to this hide.
I started to consider creating an effort I'm still looking for a good name for it, some like:

  • All geocaches deserve a FAVO
  • No geocache should have zero FAVO
or any similar. What I have on my mind is that except for the very rare cases when a geocache is hidden really at a disgusting place (for me), they all should get at least one FAVO. The cache owner made an effort to find a spot make the container, prepare a logbook, put it all together and then we all could go and search for it. Keep in mind that there are areas where there might really not have much to look at and see. Just like the resting areas, but it all part of the game, if you do not like these easy picks you do not need to search for them. If you try to fill your matrix, any of the many you can always use these, or if you are in a rush these geocaches give you a fast find.

Many thanks for the owner of this geocache for the hide and for my souvernir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocache: Tree branch

Geocache: Get the film out of the pipe

Geocache: Underground TB Hotel